Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What's this all about, anyways?

Yesterday was November 11. It's a day that originally was celebrated as Armistice Day, the end of World War I. Today, Veterans Day is a day to honor all who have served their country, all those who have sacrificed in her defense. It was a perfect day to begin a tribute that has long been on my mind.

In BYU’s Smith Fieldhouse, every Tuesday and Thursday morning at 0650 you'll see almost 150 students form a semicircle and get into push-up position. A sudden silence fills the gym and in that moment you get the feeling that something is happening, something is forming. As one team, one unit, one family, the ROTC cadets silently count push-up after push-up. These push-ups aren't to build muscle, to gain strength, or tire the cadets. These memorial push-ups are done with respect, honor, and love toward a soldier who has fallen in battle. Each morning a different hero is honored through the cadets’ effort and reverence.

Something about this speaks to me. I come from a long line of soldiers and servicemen and families who supported them. I can't express how grateful I am to those who have served and sacrificed before me.


 




BYU Memorial Hall is a small corner of the Wilkinson Center. The South wall is lined with plaques and names- 210 names of those BYU alumni who have given their lives for their country. These are people who studied where I study, walked where I walk, and wanted the same things in life that I want before their lives were tragically cut short in defense of our freedom, our peace, and our families.


Their names have been on my mind for a while now. I have wanted to pay tribute to them, each one, but I didn't know how. What could I possibly give to those who have given everything for me? The answer suddenly struck me one day. I need to live; I need to live life to the fullest. I need to seize every bit of joy that they paid for. I need to love. I love life. I love love. And I love running. I'm going to do what I love and never stop. But while I do it, I'm going to thank them. I'm going to personally thank each individual on that wall for what they gave to me. I know I can never repay them, but I hope that in some small way, I can pay my respects.

In the next few months as I prepare to graduate from BYU and enter the United States Air Force, I will run 210 miles. Each mile will be in honor of a hero on that wall. As I run each mile, I'll wear a hero's initials. I'll think of them. I'll thank them. I'll get cold, I'll get tired, and I'll get sore. This effort will require energy, pain, and discomfort. It'll take a lot out of me. But it will remind me that I'm alive-I'm free. It would dishonor their sacrifice to do anything else.



1 comment:

  1. You are amazing Brett and I am proud to call you my son.

    ReplyDelete